Thursday, January 28, 2016

Blackjack or Bust

Over three weeks in to the second semester and, unsurprisingly, the seniors in my AP Statistics course are finding it harder and harder to get motivated to do school. That means it’s time for some blackjack.

At Tuesday’s evening class, we dealt some cards, made some bets, and recorded lots of data. I have done a blackjack project several times now and it always grabs the students’ attention and interest. Some students learn the game for the first time while others learn the finer points such as splitting and doubling down. But all enjoy watching their piles of chips go up and down.

While they play, the students record such things as card values, number of hits, wins, losses, pushes, and busts. In groups, the students will then use the data to create their own examples that are meant to illustrate the various probability concepts we have studied thus far. These topics include conditional probability and independence, random variables, the binomial and geometric distributions, and sampling distributions. The groups are tasked with teaching their topics to their classmates. As a part of their presentation, a group will also provide a sample problem for everyone to try to solve.

I have come to strongly value students taking over class and teaching their peers. Explaining the intricacies of challenging mathematical ideas is not easy. And many students have anxiety about speaking in front of the class. But it is so worth it. From my experiences with these student presentations, I have seen my students gain deep understanding of the topics and I think the students appreciate having class led by someone other than their teacher. After reading Jo Boaler’s book, Mathematical Mindsets, I now know that research has shown that explaining work to others creates deep learning.

In addition to the presentation, students have the opportunity to collaborate with others. Group work is another prominent part of my classes. I think my favorite classes are when each group is humming along, discussing ideas, solving problems, checking each other’s answers, and helping one another increase their mathematical knowledge. It provides opportunities for students to explain ideas in a small group setting that might be easier than in front of the whole class. Once again Dr. Boaler notes in her book that the research backs the practice.

The project will give the students the opportunity to review many different ideas. I like the idea of doing review now, even though a little more than three months still remain before the AP exam. I want my students to engage with the material as many times as they can before May. I think it’s a bit silly to think that a student can really learn and understand a concept the first time they see it. The more times they try to reason through a binomial distribution problem, the more familiar they will become with the idea. I have taught random variables ten times now, and I am better this year with them than I was last year.

Finally, projects are such a refreshing change from the in-class timed tests. I like that my students get a chance to show what they know in a much different setting. They are not sitting, working alone, trying to remember when to use which formula. Rather, they are up, working with others, and they can look up information in their books, in their notes, and even on the internet. They can meet with me to talk about their project. The students can choose to spend many hours in preparation so that they can produce exactly the quality of project they want. I am going to try to see if I can test less next year and still prepare my students well for the AP exam. I believe it can be done. Do you? Anybody out there teach project-based AP Statistics course? I would love to hear about your experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment